How to Collect
Where to Put Collection Bins
Location, location, location! Exactly where you put the collection containers totally does matter! Here’s where I suggest trying to get a bin located:
In each classroom in the school
School main office/lobby area
At different times, we’ve had a simple manila envelope tacked onto the bulletin board in the main entrance that was cryptically labeled “Box Tops” in big black lettering so there’s no doubt about what should go inside. It was usually stuffed full, no matter how often it was emptied!
Board of Education main office
Ask if you can put a bin at the receptionists desk in the main office of the Board of Education. This is an often overlooked area of opportunity!
But what if there are other schools in the district that also collect Box Tops? Easy! Split the Box Tops collected from the BOE with the other schools.
City Hall + Community Center
Another lost opportunity is often at City Hall and/or Community Center, so don’t be shy about asking to get a collection bin at both of these locations. Again, if there is more than one school in the city that participates in the Box Top program, you can share the label wealth.
YMCA, other community organizations
Ask grandparents, and other relatives, neighbors and friends to collect them
Other ways to collect:
There’s an app for that!
Ideas for collecting:
- Snag small baskets from the dollar store or make them out of oatmeal canisters.
- Send home ziplock bags with a a label asking for the bag to be returned with labeled by a certain date each month. You can remove the labels, then send back the bag for the next months’ collection.
Monthly Collection Sheets
Did you know that there are a bunch of free collection sheets on the Box Tops for Education website? Head on over and snag them!
A great incentive can go a long way when it comes to bringing in the prized pink rectangles! Here are a few fun ideas for no or low cost prizes:
- Be principal for a day
- Class pizza /ice cream/ popsicles
- Winning class gets to wear a hat
- Small prizes from the dollar store
- Tattoo party
- Extra recess
- Pajama day
- Dance party (for every student who brings in a certain amount)
Create monthly challenges, or if that’s too much, how about a challenge the month before the bi-annual submissions are due?
My group has found success with promoting year round collection, and we don’t stop asking for the labels after the March 1 submission deadline. There are lots of labels to be earned throughout the Summer months and it’s an easy thing parents can do to contribute to the group’s earnings.
Ideas for contests
- Challenge another school. The principal of the school with the lower amount of labels collected has to wear spirit wear from the winning school.
- Teacher challenge! Teacher who brings in the most box tops get a gift certificate.
- Class challenges
- Grade level challenges
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you’re having fun with it!
Ways to publicize
- Make a poster to track year-to-date donations and hang it in the front hallway of your school.
- Send flyers/collection sheets home regularly.
- Social Media posts: Facebook, Twitter, etc. Posts with pictures and not just text tend to be more widely seen!
- Newsletter reminders- the school’s, your parent group’s and maybe even your city’s electronic newsletter are all great avenues to explore!
- Get the teachers to help out- in one of my kid’s school, the money earned from the Box Tops directly funds the mini grants we give out twice a year. So teachers definitely have skin in the game and are more than happy to help publicize and remind parents about the collection effort!
- Ask for Remind messages from teachers to be sent, especially the weeks before the submission deadlines.
Over to you
Wowza! I know I’ve covered a lot, but if you do even half of these ideas, I bet your Box Top collection rate is sure to increase!
What other ideas have you found success with? Share below!
Other Fundraising Ideas
If you’re looking to expand your group’s fundraising efforts beyond Box Tops and really take things to the next level, then the Fabulous Fundraising Guide is just the ticket! It goes through the entire fundraising process, from selection to what to do in the days leading up to, and after order pick up to ensure fantastic fundraising success!